One-day therapies comprise prosthetic modalities, that aim to accommodate patients in the fashion of avoiding to remain toothless even for a day. Main task is to fully restore them either with temporary or even with definitive restorations within the course of a day. That concept is fully viable and is applied in every rehabilitation from one tooth up to a full implant reconstruction.
1-day therapies with definite composite veneers
Whenever all natural teeth are present, composite veneers can predictably restore shape and colour and serve as definitive rehabilitation
1-day therapies with implant-supported temporary crowns/bridges
Whenever natural teeth are missing, implants can be placed and subsequently be restored with same-day fixed prostheses (see: implants)
1-day therapies with tooth supported temporary crowns/bridges
Whenever few natural teeth are remaining, temporary crowns/bridges can accommodate the functional and aesthetic requirements of the prosthetic patient
Why Are Transitional/Temporary Restorations So Essential
- Transitional/Temporary restorations preserve the aesthetic and functional continuity. They serve their versatile purpose during fabrication of the final restorations (veneers, crowns, bridges)
- They protect teeth-abutments from bacteria and prevent tooth-sensitivities
- They facilitate immediate rehabilitation (teeth same-day)
- They confirm the shape,contour and position of the ”new dentition” produced by Aesthetic Analysis and Digital Smile Design.
- Their major role is repairability, thus minor to extensive modifications can be made easily, if needed. Material of choice is acrylic resin/synthetic resin
- Excessive mastication forces, such as applied by bruxers (individuals who clench or grind their teeth), are imponderables and cause serious complications to the prosthetic restorations, the teeth or the Tempo-mandibular Joints . Hence, a trial period of some months with acrylic transitional restorations is necessary, so that all factors be promptly evaluated and occlusion be well balanced.
- Transitionals/Temporaries help restore or preserve mastication (chewing), as well as help visualize the shape, position and color of the final restoration.
- Temporaries can be modified easily,the final goal being that all lines and proportions in smile and the face are restored harmoniously. When all modifications are incorporated and completed (occlusion, shape, position, absence of discomfort) and the ideal result is accomplished,the transitional restorations navigate the fabrication of the final restorations.
- Acrylic templates/indices can be molded from the transitional restorations and be used as a surgical guide during placement of implants. Thus, implants are safely inserted inside the occlusal envelope of the projected prosthetic restorations. Such an optimal implant placement is considered of major significance, the aesthetics and function being highly facilitated and extra costs being eliminated.
- They foster immediate loading of implants
- They are also essential at surgical procedures both pre-operatively for the evaluation of the volume of tissues to be grafted and post-operatively, during the healing time , for the contouring of the outline of healing tissues.
- Their greatest value is addressed in reconstructing the worn dentition. In such cases, trial period is extended and includes multiple occlusal modifications. Therefore final restorations are faithfully replicated out of the transitionals